|About Ford 9N, 2N, 8NThe Ford 9N, produced from 1939 to 1941 and the first of the "N Series" tractors, was born complete with the first three-point hitch in 1939. It was developed as a versatile all-purpose tractor for the small farm and was exceedingly popular. It went through subtle changes almost every year of production. By the end of 1941 they had made so many changes, and had so many more ideas for changes, that they changed the name of the tractor to the "Ford 2N".
Some of the newest features on the Ford 2N (produced from 1942 to 1947) were an enlarged cooling fan (with shroud), a pressurized radiator, and eventually sealed-beam headlights. Other changes were made here and there due to the war. For awhile only steel wheels were available, and a magneto system was used rather than a battery. When the war ended it went back to what it had been before.
The Ford 2N eventually evolved into the Ford 8N, which officially started it's production in 1947 and was produced through 1952.
Some of the noticeable differences from the 9N/2N was the change in lugs from six to eight in the rear wheels, scripted "Ford" logo on the fenders and sides of the hood (reportedly this scripting did not actually start until late 1950) and finally, the absence of the "Ferguson System" patch which was no longer displayed under the Ford oval (even though the tractor still used Fergusons three-point hitch). Additional history on these tractors can be found here.
Recent Popular Discussions