Welcome! Please use the navigational links on your left to explore our website.

Company Logo Shop Now
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 8N,9N,2N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
Classified Ads
Photo Ads
Tractor Parts

Discussion Forums
Project Journals
Tractor Town
Your Stories
Show & Pull Guide
Events Calendar
Hauling Schedule

Tractor Photos
Implement Photos
Vintage Photos
Help Identify
Parts & Pieces
Stuck & Troubled
Vintage Ads
Community Album
Photo Ad Archives

Research & Info
Tractor Registry
Tip of the Day
Safety Cartoons
Tractor Values
Serial Numbers
Tune-Up Guide
Paint Codes
List Prices
Production Nbrs
Tune-Up Specs
Torque Values
3-Point Specs

Tractor Games
Just For Kids
Virtual Show
Museum Guide
Memorial Page
Feedback Form

Yesterday's Tractors Facebook Page

Related Sites
Tractor Shed
Ford 8N/9N Club
Today's Tractors
Garden Tractors
Kountry Life
Implement Alley Discussion Forum

Agitator for spray tank?

Welcome Guest, Log in or Register

02-26-2004 12:15:11

Report to Moderator

third party image

I recently built a boom sprayer for my money pit, err, I mean dove field. It's a 55 gallon drum mounted in a frame of 2x4's that supports it about 6" off the bottom of a cart. Under the drum is a 2.8 gpm 12volt pump with the appropriate hoses and fittings to pump the liquid out to the 6 nozzles on the boom.

It should take no longer than 20 minutes for the pump to completely empty the 55 gallon tank. My water supply (garden hose) is about 3 minutes away from the field. I'll probably only be filling it with 40~50 gallons of water at a time.

Do I need some sort of agitator to keep the chemical evenly dispersed in the tank? Or will the relatively quick fill and spray until empty method be acceptable? The tank and contents will sort of be jostled and splashed around just by moving it while spraying. I plan to use it for treflan in the next month and probably glyphosate and liquid fertilizer sometime down the road. The treflan label said it needed to be agitated, but I wonder if it's absolutely necessary.

Hopefully the pic or link will show on this post.


[Log in to Reply]   [No Email]
Billy ar

03-05-2004 08:01:03

Report to Moderator
 Re: Agitator for spray tank? in reply to Paul, 02-26-2004 12:15:11  
If you don't use any dry flowables or wetable powders you probly be all right might get streak once and awile thats all.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

02-27-2004 14:45:53

Report to Moderator
 Re: Agitator for spray tank? in reply to Paul, 02-26-2004 12:15:11  
Paul, I tried to e-mail you as I have a couple questions on your sprayer. I am building one also, for spraying my fence lines. How did you get the fittings connected to the barrel without reaching inside to hold the nut on the fitting? Did you allow a place for air to enter the tank as the fluid is pumped out? Good luck on your project.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

02-27-2004 16:01:55

Report to Moderator
 Re: Re: Agitator for spray tank? in reply to Dieselrider, 02-27-2004 14:45:53  
I sent a reply to you, but it bounced back. The address it went to was "yourname"@MNIS.LOCAL, I think something is wrong with the last part of your address.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

02-27-2004 16:26:28

Report to Moderator
 Re: Re: Re: Agitator for spray tank? in reply to Paul, 02-27-2004 16:01:55  
Paul, Try it with this one above. I don't know why direcway can be difficult sometimes.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

02-26-2004 19:13:37

Report to Moderator
 Re: Agitator for spray tank? in reply to Paul, 02-26-2004 12:15:11  
Hey Paul -
I have no experience to speak from and in the past hired some of this work out. I do know that each compound has its own characteristics and requirements.

As paul said make sure you use equipment and herbicide/pesticides as described. ALWAYS READ AND FOLLOW THE LABELS. REMEMBER THAT LABEL IS THE LAW, PERIOD.

Also here in FL in order to purchase various herbicides/pesticides you must take a class to become certified. I am in the process of doing this right now. Below I have provided a link below from U of F (GO GATORS!) which should help you.


[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

02-26-2004 16:17:55

Report to Moderator
 Re: Agitator for spray tank? in reply to Paul, 02-26-2004 12:15:11  
It's a plastic drum. I originally made the boom about 2 years ago and used a 15 gallon tank with an equally ancient shurflo pump. The label was so worn I couldn't read anything. All I know is that it emptied the tank in about 13 minutes.

I got rid of that, but kept the boom and bought a new pump and new tips. I'm using red TeeJet fan nozzles now. They are rated for .40 gpm @ 40 psi, and .45 gpm @ 50 psi. I didn't just go out and buy the first 6 spray tips I could find. I picked the one that came the closest to my pump volume and pressure. Each one has a 50 mesh strainer.

My new pump is 45 psi and 2.8 gpm, and I have 6 nozzles. So that would mean I have an extra .25 gpm in capacity to pump back into the tank for agitation, right?

I'm using 3/4" tubing from the tank to the pump, and from the pump to the T fitting in the middle. The rest is 3/8".

The local co-op has boom sprayers. But the treflan has to be worked into the soil within 24 hours of application. If I applied the herbicide to my field with the sprayer from the co-op, I'd probably be out there with my small disk for about 24 hours before it was all worked in. I didn't want to do that, that's why I built the sprayer.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

02-26-2004 17:22:26

Report to Moderator
 Re: Re: Agitator for spray tank? in reply to Paul, 02-26-2004 16:17:55  
You still need to follow the label - it is a legal document. Mickey-mouse outfits are getting all us farmers in more & more trouble. You need to agitae if the label says agitate. A bypass valve is what you need. Some sprays need high pressure, some need low pressure. Glysophate especially needs a low water volume compared to most other sprays.

Please do this proper. It affects all of us. Aggitate. Regulate pressure.


[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

02-26-2004 15:53:40

Report to Moderator
 Re: Agitator for spray tank? in reply to Paul, 02-26-2004 12:15:11  
If you want to use herbicides in a responsible manner you need a complete system that applies the product in a uniform, consistent manner. You need to maintain a constant speed in order to calibrate properly, as well as a good pump, pressure control with bypass and gauge, and adequate agitation. Your local herbicide source should be able to provide you with the info you need, as well as the certification program needed to allow you to purchase and apply RUP products. The mickeymouse equipment some people think is ok is why farmers catch so much flak about the use of herbicides. Either do it right or hire a licensed applicator.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

02-26-2004 15:04:29

Report to Moderator
 Re: Agitator for spray tank? in reply to Paul, 02-26-2004 12:15:11  
YES; you either need bypass back in tank or agitate fitting,strongly suggest latter

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]
Roy in UK

02-26-2004 14:57:42

Report to Moderator
 Re: Agitator for spray tank? in reply to Paul, 02-26-2004 12:15:11  
I cannot quite make out if the spray tank is plastic or metal. You should never put glyphosate in a metal tank.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

02-26-2004 14:47:43

Report to Moderator
 Re: Agitator for spray tank? in reply to Paul, 02-26-2004 12:15:11  
As someone else suggested, use a regulator and a bypass system. At least have a hose discharging the bypass solution back into the tank, if you have one of the agitator/nozzle things at the end of the hose so much better but probably not necessary. Be sure you have a strainer in the suction and maybe one in the dicscharge or else strainers in all 6 nozzles. Look up the GPM of each nozzle at the pressure you will be operating, say 20 psi. If it is say 0.3 gpm times 6 nozzles, you will need 1.8 gpm just for the nozzles, that will leave about 1 gmp for the bypass which isn't much but it will help. Be sure you have the boom the correct height above the ground for the nozzle types and spacings you are using. With flat fan tapered nozzles you want about 50% overlap, but all these specs you can look up in the Spraying Systems handbook.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

02-26-2004 14:19:18

Report to Moderator
 Re: Agitator for spray tank? in reply to Paul, 02-26-2004 12:15:11  
To apply the proper amount of spray concentrate you need to match speed, size of nozzle tips, pressure, etc.

Adjusting pressure is one of the simplest ways of making minor adjustments in spray volume. Since your pump may put out more or less that the stated rating, an adjustable pressure valve with a by-pass is normally used in the piping system. A by-pass line returns the unused, over pressure portion of the spray to the tank. On the end of this line is usually a device that forces the spray in different directions causing tank agitation or constant mixing of the fluid.

I really doubt that your pump will put out the exact rating from full tank to empty tank. It would take great precision to match the six spray tips to the exact output of the pump. I would recommend a by-pass system as stated.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]
[Options]  [Printer Friendly]  [Posting Help]  [Return to Forum]   [Log in to Reply]

Hop to:

Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

Home  |  Forums

Copyright © 1997-2019 Yesterday's Tractor Co.

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters

Website Accessibility Policy