Welcome! Please use the navigational links on your left to explore our website.

Company Logo Shop Now
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 8N,9N,2N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
Classified Ads
Photo Ads
Tractor Parts

Discussion Forums
Project Journals
Tractor Town
Your Stories
Show & Pull Guide
Events Calendar
Hauling Schedule

Tractor Photos
Implement Photos
Vintage Photos
Help Identify
Parts & Pieces
Stuck & Troubled
Vintage Ads
Community Album
Photo Ad Archives

Research & Info
Tractor Registry
Tip of the Day
Safety Cartoons
Tractor Values
Serial Numbers
Tune-Up Guide
Paint Codes
List Prices
Production Nbrs
Tune-Up Specs
Torque Values
3-Point Specs

Tractor Games
Just For Kids
Virtual Show
Museum Guide
Memorial Page
Feedback Form

Yesterday's Tractors Facebook Page

Related Sites
Tractor Shed
Ford 8N/9N Club
Today's Tractors
Garden Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
Allis Chalmers Discussion Forum

steering on a c

Welcome Guest, Log in or Register

09-22-2007 17:25:58

Report to Moderator

what is the long arm that connects the wormgear to the belcraink on the front end called? its long with balljoints at each end.is it rebuildable? where can i get the parts. the balljoints dont come off the shaft. is it orignal?

[Log in to Reply]   [No Email]
Phil H

09-24-2007 07:36:22

Report to Moderator
 Re: steering on a c in reply to bundy, 09-22-2007 17:25:58  
Hi, the linkage from the steering box is called the PITMAN ARM, and the rod that connects that arm to the STEERING ARM is called the DRAG LINK, the long rod that goes between the left and right steering arms is called the TIE ROD. A machine shop would do what the other person said, cut the ends off and weld on new ones that can be bought today, a heavy truck, around 2-4 ton would have a larger drag link and could be shortened, and if the ball joint ends could be fitted, or drilled out, would make a very good adaptation....Phil H

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

09-23-2007 22:01:52

Report to Moderator
 Re: steering on a c in reply to bundy, 09-22-2007 17:25:58  
I don.t remember what it's called but, I do remember sometime ago while I was mechanicing,someone tried to sell us a tie rod and ball joint repair. It shot some plastic or silicon into the ball socket and took out all the play. I wouldn"t trust it on the road but on a tractor is different. I can't find the source now. Has anyone heard of this, from about 20-25 years ago? I'm sure it would work.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]
Texas Denny

09-22-2007 21:01:49

Report to Moderator
 Re: steering on a c in reply to bundy, 09-22-2007 17:25:58  
I got two new tie rod ends for my 1958 Ford Skyliner. I cut off the balls on the Allist shaft and drilled 1/2" holes (I think) in the ends to accept the Ford ball joints and welded them in at the right length and orientation. Total elimination of slop from that source! I believe that most Ford ball joints will work but I know those from the 50's do. This works and looks pretty good after painting but it is not the same as original. This is the working tractor solution.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

09-22-2007 20:00:51

Report to Moderator
 Re: steering on a c in reply to bundy, 09-22-2007 17:25:58  
Don't know what its called but I have one of 2 of them from parts Cs I have. E-mail is open

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

09-22-2007 18:57:15

Report to Moderator
 Re: steering on a c in reply to bundy, 09-22-2007 17:25:58  
that is original. sometimes you see them on e-bay for sale, or look at one of the local sellers at this site or allischalmers dot com.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]
[Options]  [Printer Friendly]  [Posting Help]  [Return to Forum]   [Log in to Reply]

Hop to:

We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

Home  |  Forums

Today's Featured Article - Bad Vibes - by Curtis Von Fange. One of the strangest ways to communicate with our tractor is to ask it how it feels. "Ask it how it feels," you say? Yup, ask it how it feels. Now, as with the other articles in this series one has to be able to hear what 'ole blue' is trying to say in response. The nice thing about our old iron friends is that they are usually quite consistent in their response, rather unlike some people I know who might change what they say due to the weather or other mitigating circumstances. But since t ... [Read Article]

Latest Ad: John Deere 855 parts manual. [More Ads]

Copyright © 1997-2020 Yesterday's Tractor Co.

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters

Website Accessibility Policy