I converted a 1600 gas to an alternator a few years ago. Would think a diesel will not be much different.
A few tips:
- Use a Delco 10SI internally-regulated alternator. These were used on virtually all GM cars/light trucks from the mid-70's thru mid- 80's. They are cheap, easy to wire and are almost bullet-proof. (I used one off a 1980 GMC pickup simply because I had it around)
- Use the pulley/fan from the old generator on the new alternator.
- You'll need fabricate modify the generator pivot bracket - or make a new one - to fit the shorter alternator.
- Use the old generator tensioning bracket.
- You will probably need a new fan belt (the existing one will be an inch or two short).
Wiring is straight-forward:
- Remove and toss the old voltage regulator. Tape off the unused VR wiring.
- Run a 10 ga wire from the alternator output stud to the HOT side of the starter solenoid.
- Run a 16 ga wire from the LOW SIDE (not the ignition switch side) of existing generator warning light to the alternator #1 aux terminal. Make sure the warning lamp is not burned out (the alternator won't charge if the lamp is out).
- Run a 16 ga wire from the alternator output stud to the alternator #2 aux terminal.
Fast Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]
TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.