Yesterday's Tractor Co. Shop Now
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 8N,9N,2N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
Classified Ads
Photo Ads
Tractor Parts

Discussion Forums
Project Journals
Tractor Town
Your Stories
Show & Pull Guide
Events Calendar
Hauling Schedule

Tractor Photos
Implement Photos
Vintage Photos
Help Identify
Parts & Pieces
Stuck & Troubled
Vintage Ads
Community Album
Photo Ad Archives

Research & Info
Tractor Registry
Tip of the Day
Safety Cartoons
Tractor Values
Serial Numbers
Tune-Up Guide
Paint Codes
List Prices
Production Nbrs
Tune-Up Specs
Torque Values
3-Point Specs

Tractor Games
Just For Kids
Virtual Show
Museum Guide
Memorial Page
Feedback Form

Yesterday's Tractors Facebook Page

Related Sites
Tractor Shed
Ford 8N/9N Club
Today's Tractors
Garden Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
Ford Tractors Discussion Forum
Order Ford 861 Parts Online

Adding remote auxiliary hydraulics to Ford 861

Welcome Guest, Log in or Register

09-13-2006 03:36:12

Report to Moderator

There seems to be a few topics on this on the boards but I have a hard time following them because I am not familiar with hydraulic lingo.

I have a John Deere 5 sickle mower that has a one way hydraulic cylinder for lifting the lower it, gravity brings it down to the ground. I also have purchased a grain seeder that requires a hydraulic cylinder to raiser and lower the planting discs (engages and disengages the seeder).

I have read about a 70 dollar plate from New Holland that will bolt under the seat area, and something about buying some parts at TSC, and then one will have a working hydraulic system? Is this correct? Also, will it work for my purposes? Also, am I correct that you need to toggle some valve to switch between being able to raise your 3 point and being able to operate external hydraulic implements?

[Log in to Reply]   [No Email]

09-14-2006 18:16:32

Report to Moderator
 Assembly line remote auxiliary hydraulics. in reply to fewlio, 09-13-2006 03:36:12  
861 Ford tractors rolling off the assembly line with optional Aux Hyds. How were the Aux Hyds attached? Same block configuration as the Aftermarkets?

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

09-13-2006 11:20:18

Report to Moderator
 Re: Adding remote auxiliary hydraulics to Ford 861 in reply to fewlio, 09-13-2006 03:36:12  
With the plate & the _proper_ valve(s) that you mention, the 3pt will operate properly too. Any old cheap valve from TSC will give you the unpredictable 3pt/ cylinder problems you mention. I'd sure not want to have to battle that 3pt issue just to save a few bucks.....

There are single acting valves. Only have pressure one way.

There are double acting valves. Generally they will work with single-acting cylinders as well, but you end up bypassing the oil so your hyds grunt a little & it lowers slower....

There are double-acting valves that have a tiny valve on them to change them easily to true single-acting or true double-acting.

You will want a double acting valve - just better & you have a need.

A second single acting; or if the double-acting you get has the little bypass valve - would be better for you. But not absoulutely needed - just in case money is an object & I spent all yours on this proper valve already. :)

Hope I helped add to the confusion. :)


[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]
Hurley J. D.

09-13-2006 07:08:56

Report to Moderator
 Re: Adding remote auxiliary hydraulics to Ford 861 in reply to fewlio, 09-13-2006 03:36:12  
Call Tommy Glenn at 903-885-4818. He has had some of these valves. He installed one on my tractor a 1964 Ford 4000. Cost $250. I think that his price depends on what he has to give for a used valve. He can put a kit together and ship to you. These are the Ford valves and not anything from Tractor Supply or such.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

09-13-2006 05:52:40

Report to Moderator
 Re: Adding remote auxiliary hydraulics to Ford 861 in reply to fewlio, 09-13-2006 03:36:12  
If you click on the "Tractor Parts" link at the top left of this page and then search your way through you will find some expensive kits to add remote hydraulics to your 861.

There are two ways to do it. There is an accesory plate under the forward edge of your tractor's seat that you remove. Then you have 2 options:
1) Bolt a spool valve directly to the location where you removed the accessory plate. Run hoses from the spool valve to quick couplers that you will want to mount behind the seat. Attach the hose(s) from the cylinder on your implement to the quick couplers.
2) Sandwich an aluminum adapter block between the accessory plate and the tractor. This block has a Pressure and a Return port. Mount your spool valve on your tractor's fender. Run hoses from the Pressure and Return ports to the spool valve. Run hoses from the spool valve to quick couplers mounted behind the seat. Attach the hose(s) from your implement to the quick coupler.

You mentioned that one of your implements has a single acting cylinder (one hose) and the other has a dual acting cylinder (two hoses). You have 2 options once again:
1) Buy a single spool valve that can be converted from single acting to dual acting by installing/removing a plug.
2) Buy a two spool valve with one single acting spool and one dual acting spool.

You also mention toggling between the 3PH and the implement. Some guys choose to go the cheap route and eliminate the purchase and installation of spool valves. They plumb the hose from the cylinder on their implement directly into the tractor's hydraulic system and then tie the lift arms of the 3PH down with chains. When they raise the lever to the right of the seat that would normally raise the 3PH it can't go up because it is chained down so the hydraulic pressure is diverted to the cylinder on their implement. I believe this system will only work with a single acting cylinder.

I have an 861D that has the adapter plate sandwiched in the hydraulic system and spool valves mounted on the fender. I also have a 5000D that has the spool valves mounted under the seat where the accessory plate was.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]
Larry NCKS

09-13-2006 04:40:23

Report to Moderator
 Re: Adding remote auxiliary hydraulics to Ford 861 in reply to fewlio, 09-13-2006 03:36:12  
That'd be the cheap way to accomplish what you want. The proper way would be to find an auxiliary valve that can be used in either single (your mower) or double (your seeder) acting mode. Ford provided these as an option way back when. You still see them pop up on eBay occasionally. There is an aftermarket available for this too, but I know little about it.

These valves replace the hydraulic blockoff plate on the deck under the seat. Your operator's manual should show it. If you don't have an operator's manual, I'd suggest you get one.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]
Fighting suburbia in NC

09-13-2006 17:44:34

Report to Moderator
 Must depend on the manual version you have in reply to Larry NCKS, 09-13-2006 04:40:23  
I checked my service manual and "Owner's Manual", both reprints from Ford, and they have nothing about optional auxilliary hydraulics except to point out the adapter plate under the seat. I wonder if the parts manual (which I don't have but should probably get) has a more detailed listing of the optional parts.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]
[Options]  [Printer Friendly]  [Posting Help]  [Return to Forum]   [Log in to Reply]

Hop to:

Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

Home  |  Forums

Copyright © 1997-2018 Yesterday's Tractor Co.

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters