The other day I saw my neighbor had put an almost new garden hose by the side of the road. The female end was cut off, so I suppose he drove over it, was going to replace the end and decided not to bother with it. I can always use another hose, so I took it home.
Both HD and Ace were out of the female repair ends I normally use, which clamp on the hose with a couple of screws. But Ace had a style I'd never seen before; it is a compression-style fitting. It looked to be very well made, so I got it. When I installed the end, I was impressed by how tightly the compression fitting grabbed the hose and figured it would work good. The first picture shows the installed repair end.
HOWEVER, as soon as I put water pressure on the hose, the nut of the repair end popped right off! The second picture shows the separated end. The fitting is held together only by a very small flare on the compression fitting that goes inside a hexagonal hole in the nut. Since the hole is hexagonal instead of round, there is very little material to engage the flare.
I reassembled the fitting, stuck in in my vise, then enlarged the flare by hammering the round end of a ball peen hammer into the flare. The repair now holds pressure; time will tell if my fix was permanent.