Welcome! Please use the navigational links to explore our website.
PartsASAP LogoCompany Logo Auction Link (800) 853-2651

Shop Now

   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 8N,9N,2N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver

Implement Alley Discussion Forum

Resurrecting JD 247 planter, long

Welcome Guest, Log in or Register
Author  [Modern View]

02-06-2017 07:00:50

Report to Moderator

Rescued this John Deere 247 planter from the scrapper with the idea of making it functional. Thought it might give some others an idea of what can be done if you are determined. This was a resurrection not a restoration, I will try to be brief, if you would like more detail on how I did something just ask..

Poor thing was rode hard an put up wet main axel was badly worn and bent, axel bearings were wallowed out with one broken. Countershaft and it's bearings were in just about the same condition with the teeth on the drive sprocket worn about 1/2 way through. The seed bins were in really sad shape and the fertilizer parts were really bad from the results of rust and abuse. Decided to just remove the fertilizer parts and make the planter itself functional. Some day I may attack the fertilizer attachment but for now I'm happy just getting the planter working.

Started with the main axel, decided rather than trying to locate bearings I would use pillow block bearings. Cut and drilled 2 inch angle iron I had laying around and mounted 1 inch pillow block bearings where the original cast bearings were located. To make the axel work ordered thin wall 1 inch OD tubing and turned the worn sections of the axel down to a press fit inside the tubing. For the two inside sections I split the tubing in order to get it over the still good sections of the axel. I then had an axel that would fit the bearings and run true. Had to make a couple modifications to the scraper brackets to locate the scrapers in the proper position.

Decided to try and save the Countershaft bearings by building a jig and pouring Babbitt bearings inside the wallowed out cast housings. Used a piece of 3/4 inch tubing for the inside mold and filled the egged out bearing with molten Babbitt. This actually worked better than I expected mainly because I had lots of room due to the wear on the cast bearings. Followed up with an adjustable reamer to give it a little clearance for grease then drilled and re-taped the grease fitting hole. Turned worn ends of the countershaft down to fit 3/4 OD 1/2 inch ID tubing. Welded the tubing on the plain end and press fit the tubing on the end with the key slot after I installed sprockets.

Took the seed bins out side and sand blasted the rust off the bottom. Discovered several places that were rusted through especially on the bend at the bottom. My solution was to good old Bondo. placed masking tape on the inside and made a fillet of Bondo on the outside to cover up the rust holes. JB Weld might have been better but would have been allot more expensive. I used Evapo-Rust from Harbor freight on the parts from inside the seed bins and a few seed plates and backing plates I thought may work for the seeds I will be plating. After the Evapo-Rust process I coated the parts with linseed oil to keep them from rusting.

The planter had the Gauge shoe option but the sheet metal on the shoes were history from rust. I cut and bent new shoes from 1/8 sheet steel, cut the brackets off the old shoes and welded them onto the new shoes using the old parts for location. Found usable Runner openers on eBay and a new counter shaft drive sproket thanks to this forum.

Now it's all back together and everything turns smooth and easy, the little black spots you see on the floor are sunflower seeds I ran through it to see if the plates I had would work. Still need to do something with the bin covers but it works and I really do not have allot of money in it.
third party image
third party image

[Log in to Reply]   [No Email]

02-07-2017 12:14:40

Report to Moderator
 Re: Resurrecting JD 247 planter, long in reply to BobReeves, 02-06-2017 07:00:50  
third party image

I just picked up a JD 494 with similar problems to yours. Bearings are out of the wheel axles, etc. Haven't started to work on it yet, but its good to see you having success with yours. I'll use your idea of testing it with sunflower seeds when I get to it.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]
[Options]  [Printer Friendly]  [Posting Help]  [Return to Forum]   [Log in to Reply]

Hop to:

We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

Home  |  Forums

Copyright © 1997-2023 Yesterday's Tractor Co.

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters

Website Accessibility Policy