Don"t know if this is the best place to post this, but the Ford forum has done we well in the past - cross posting with the repair tips forum.
New to diesels, so this is a learning experience to me... anyway let me tell you a story:
I just bought a 1996 Mustang 940E (Yanmar 4TN82E-S engine). it is in good shape, and tight.
Sorry for the long post but I want to put everything out rather tan going back and forth with "what have you done", "did you try" questions....
It has one problem I am sure is going to bite me big: it smokes A LOT out of the vent tube coming out of the valve cover.
It starts fine, appears to run fine - have not had the chance to do any real work with it yet...
I did a "tune up" this weekend:
1. Replaced the engine oil/filter, added "restore" to see if it would help with rings
2. Replaced the hydro filter
3. Replaced the fuel filter
4. Replaced the air filter - very, very dirty - filter check was popped.
It smokes a bit at start-up (white) out the exhaust but after a short warm up it is clear - but it always smokes (white) out the engine vent tube - this did not change with the "tune up"
Things I know or observed:
1. It has 1300 hours but the meter does not appear to be running now
2. I got it from someone who did not take the best care of equipment - price reflected that (somewhat) 3. Has been and was running real rough when I got it because the low pressure fuel feed (between the feed and the injection pump) was leaking - ran erratically - so the thing was "randomly" fueled for who knows how long.
4. There was a LOT of oil and dirt in the bottom of the engine compartment 5. The vent tube is leaking oil
6. the vent tube smoke is not water - did the mirror test
7. There is substantial pressure on the vent tube
8. It appears to have decent power, but I have not worked it and did not know what it should feel like "new"
9. When I replaced the fuel filter it did have some water in the bottom, about 1/3 full. Also had dirt in the bowl (it is a removable bowl clear filter on this engine).
From my research everything points to rings; but I want to make sure before I tear the engine apart - could it be anything else (simpler)
Few things I do not understand and would like to know:
1. If it was rings would you expect smoke to come out of the breather and the muffler? - it is only coming out of the breather after warmup 2. I know gas engines, but how do you remove the injectors and do a compression / leak down test? - do I need to replace a seal after I pull them? - I don"t want to damage them as they are expensive and harder to find than spark plugs... - is there an adapter that I will need to hook up the tester?
3. How do you do an engine RPM drop test on a Diesel? - can you unscrew the injector? - how do you measure RPM w/o a spark signal?
This will be a limited use homeowner machine so it needs to work, but will not be worked all that often and that hard - if I could limp it along for 200-300 hrs that would serve me well...