Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 8N,9N,2N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
Classified Ads
Photo Ads
Tractor Parts

Discussion Forums
Project Journals
Tractor Town
Your Stories
Show & Pull Guide
Events Calendar
Hauling Schedule

Tractor Photos
Implement Photos
Vintage Photos
Help Identify
Parts & Pieces
Stuck & Troubled
Vintage Ads
Community Album
Photo Ad Archives

Research & Info
Tractor Registry
Tip of the Day
Safety Cartoons
Tractor Values
Serial Numbers
Tune-Up Guide
Paint Codes
List Prices
Production Nbrs
Tune-Up Specs
Torque Values
3-Point Specs

Tractor Games
Just For Kids
Virtual Show
Museum Guide
Memorial Page
Feedback Form

Yesterday's Tractors Facebook Page

Related Sites
Tractor Shed
Ford 8N/9N Club
Today's Tractors
Garden Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
Discussion Forum

Don't know what to do

Welcome Guest, Log in or Register
Author  [Modern View]

10-28-2012 12:43:59

Report to Moderator

I have a 1956 John Deere 70 model lp tractor. I use it to do hay my baler is a Heston 5530 round baler. The problem is the baler has 2 hydrolic lines once hooked up to tractor to close and lock baler door then u bale once done to open door back must get down and switch lines to drop bale then close door and switch lines again to lock back down. If you down lock door down baler gets jammed. Can someone please help.

[Log in to Reply]   [No Email]

10-28-2012 19:01:36

Report to Moderator
 Re: Don't know what to do in reply to Icequeen029, 10-28-2012 12:43:59  
Google hydraulic diverter valve. You can find single units for $79, doubles for $139. Northern Tool has them, as well as any hyd shop. Mount it on your tractor where you can reach it. IIRC some are rope controlled.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

10-28-2012 18:49:19

Report to Moderator
 Re: Don't know what to do in reply to Icequeen029, 10-28-2012 12:43:59  
Are you saying the baler uses a total of _2_ hyd lines, and your tractor just has one single line? (The tractor would be single-acting?)

Or are you saying the baler uses 2 different sets of lines (a total of 4 individual hydraulic lines) and your tractor just has one set? The tractor would be doulbe-acting?)

Your question is too difficult to answer proerly without getting this described right.

If your tractor is double-acting (2 lines to make ne set of hydraulic lines) then for $500 less if you are good at piecing stuff together, you can do a diverter deal that will allow you to use one set or the other set. Easy to use this deal on different tractors, doesn't change much of anything on your tractor, just add an electric button to switch between ports. It just plugs into the tractor ports, not much fuss.

If your tractor is single-acting and the baler needs a single set of double-acting ports, then you would need to add a different hyd valve (the handle you pull) to make the oil push both directions instead of just one. Probably cost about the same, and someone who knows JD will be better at telling you where you'd need to plumb this into your tractor - a tad bit more involved to work this into the lines.


[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

10-28-2012 18:09:32

Report to Moderator
 Re: Don't know what to do in reply to Icequeen029, 10-28-2012 12:43:59  
it's been close to 40 years sense i one,but didn't a 70 have dual action hydraulics, if so and the baler has only 2 hyd lines something is wrong with the remote valve,it's working as a single action,if your baler has 4 hyd lines then you need a diverter valve as mentioned earlier or and add on second remote

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

10-28-2012 14:58:41

Report to Moderator
 Re: Don't know what to do in reply to Icequeen029, 10-28-2012 12:43:59  
I ran my first round baler back in 79 with a 730 Diesel. The 70 should be plumbed about the same way. This worked for me as per dealer mechanic instructions at the time.
There's two steel hydraulic lines on the flywheel side of the tractor going from the pump to the powertrol. The small one is the high pressure line. I took that line off,cut a short length of it out with a pipe cutter. I threaded both ends with a half inch pipe die. I screwed a half inch pipe coupler on each pipe,then brazed them on because the pipe wall is so thin that you won't have a lot of material left there after you thread it. I hooked a half inch hydraulic hose to each end,ran it in to and out of a single spool two way open center valve with the oil flowing in the direction that it flows from the pump to the powertrol. I made a nice bracket to bolt it to the left side of the cast cowl above the left headlight.
Then I ran a pair of hoses off the valve to the back of the tractor with a pair of couplers in a breakaway clamp. I ran the tailgate of the baler off that valve and the twine arm off the regular tractor remote valve. Worked like a dream. The oil flows through that steel line all the time anyway and doesn't care if it's going through an open center valve along the way.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

10-28-2012 13:29:20

Report to Moderator
 Re: Don't know what to do in reply to Icequeen029, 10-28-2012 12:43:59  
I assume it has two sets of lines unless they are one-way cylinders. The most elegant solution is to either purchase the optional dual hydraulic valve and replace your single which probably isn't going to be cheap. Also could go with a electric solenoid hydraulic valve splitter such as Fasse which isn't cheap either. Cheapest solution would be to install several ball valves and manually shunt the flow to one of the cylinders at a time. Just route the hoses so you could operate them from the seat. It is possible to buy components from Surplus Supply or some other discount outlet and make your own "Fasse splitter" much cheaper. Just need to properly match components and build it yourself. A complete Fasse kit can be purchased which has everything to make the installation "hassle free" You just pay more for the convience.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

10-28-2012 17:03:53

Report to Moderator
 Re: Don't know what to do in reply to James22, 10-28-2012 13:29:20  

You can get a hydraulic diverter valve, hand operated. I used one once for a baler with hydraulic tie. Don't remember the brand name or how much it cost, but it wasn't expensive.

The outlet on the tractor was plumbed to the diverter valve and regular Pioneer connectors were plumbed to it. The two hose sets from the baler were attached to the outlets. In your case, as I understand the problem, you would use the tractor control lever to raise to gate, then switch the diverter to the other set of lines to lock the gate, again using the tractor control lever.


[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]
[Options]  [Printer Friendly]  [Posting Help]  [Return to Forum]   [Log in to Reply]

Hop to:

Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

Home  |  Forums

Copyright © 1997-2016 Yesterday's Tractor Co.

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters