I declared victory and pulled out yesterday. If I had wood to spare I would just let the vacuum pump run for the next three days and see if it produced anything, but I will be scrounging wood just to heat water for clean up.
I made just short of 300 gallons on about a thousand taps. That is twice as much as last year, so I am happy with it. I was fighting for wood from the very beginning, as I lost over two months work last fall when my wife was injured. That was right when I would have been cutting wood, both for my house and for the sugar house. Most days I was cutting wood in the morning and burning it in the afternoon. It made for a few looong days. I used almost seventeen cords, of which only six was dry wood cut last year. I managed to keep mixing the dry wood in, but ran out of it toward the end. If I had all dry wood it would have used much less.
I took today off, just dubbed around with my truck and did some paperwork. Tomorrow I will start cleanup, I still need to can up all the syrup I am keeping for retail sales, about half of it, than the rest will go to a packer.