Sorry to hear about the finger, but glad he's still alive and kicking.
Some years back my Dad was running his old Monarch lathe and the lead screw caught the bottom of the jacker he was wearing. In the seconds it took him to holler my name, and me to turn and look, it had wrapped up and pulled him in to the point he was nearly against the bed. Thankfully the jacket wasn't heavy and it ripped it off before doing any real damage. He wound up bruised and 'stove up' for a few days but was otherwise OK.
Things like this just go go prove that 'accidents' can happen no matter how careful you are.