I went to check on my neighbor a few weeks ago. He'd just gotten home from knee surgery. When I was walking out to my truck to leave, I noticed his cattle all gathered around the water tank, and I figured it was empty, and that I'd fill it up for him. Wasn't empty, so I went on home. A few days later, his son came over and asked me why his dad's cattle wouldn't drink out of the tank. I told him it had to be electrical leakage, and he looked kinda puzzled. There wasn't any electricity to the tank. No heater, but a foot away was the electric fence - but not touching, and besides - it was a rubbermaid tank. To shorten the story - he moved the tank about ten feet, and all is OK now. I can't explain what was going on, but I still think it somehow had to do with electrical shock. But how?
A few years ago I caught a glimpse of one of my cows reaching for a drink, and she musta had her tongue stuck out a foot, then she kinda jumped when her tongue touched the water. I unplugged the heater, and all was well. Tank is an old bathtub, with an 8' ground rod by it, #6 copper conductor, star washer, stainless steel bolt, and the circuit is fed through a GFI. I thought I had it covered, but I was wrong. Didn't kill anything or anybody. The Lord looks out for us!
I hope this was all of your bad luck for the 2013, Larry.