The increased prices of ammo could be argued many ways. Just a couple arguments:
1. Demand is high by gun owners because of the of the fear of where our Nation maybe headed. Thus resulting in the rise of ammo prices.
2. Gov"t influence of anti-gun laws, taking gun owner"s rights away, sin tax put on ammo, etc...thus resulting in the rise of ammo prices.
Look at a few things that have transpired lately
1. Federal Gov"t has pushed for gun owners to have to register their guns with NATO.
2. Illinois has pushed legislation creating a Sin Tax on the sales of ammo specifically in Chicago
3. Federal Gov"t has tossed around ideas about pushing legislation to put serial numbers or some kind of identifier on each cartridge in a box and making people that buy ammo fill out paper work similar to Form 4473-Firearms Transaction Record when you purchase a firearm from a dealer.