Yesterday's Tractor Co. Shop Now
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 8N,9N,2N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
Classified Ads
Photo Ads
Tractor Parts

Discussion Forums
Project Journals
Tractor Town
Your Stories
Show & Pull Guide
Events Calendar
Hauling Schedule

Tractor Photos
Implement Photos
Vintage Photos
Help Identify
Parts & Pieces
Stuck & Troubled
Vintage Ads
Community Album
Photo Ad Archives

Research & Info
Tractor Registry
Tip of the Day
Safety Cartoons
Tractor Values
Serial Numbers
Tune-Up Guide
Paint Codes
List Prices
Production Nbrs
Tune-Up Specs
Torque Values
3-Point Specs

Tractor Games
Just For Kids
Virtual Show
Museum Guide
Memorial Page
Feedback Form

Yesterday's Tractors Facebook Page

Related Sites
Tractor Shed
Ford 8N/9N Club
Today's Tractors
Garden Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
Tractor Transporting Discussion Forum

Re: Looking for clarification!

[Show Entire Topic]  

Welcome Guest, Log in or Register
Author  [Modern View]
John in La

01-01-2012 12:28:27

Report to Moderator

The CDL laws have a class C license. If you haul haz mat or have more than 15 passengers (16 people with the driver) you need a Commercial Driver's Licenses (CDL).
If your truck is not big enough to need a class A or B license but you want to do any of the above you need a class C CDL. You would also need to add the correct endorsements to the license.
Some states use the class C as a regular drivers license. But these states also have a regular class C and a commercial class C.
My state used class D and E for non CDL licenses.

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:
Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.
Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73.

If you think I am still wrong than prove me wrong with a link.

[Log in to Reply]   [No Email]

01-02-2012 01:11:50

Report to Moderator
 Re: Looking for clarification! in reply to John in La, 01-01-2012 12:28:27  
Maybe your state has a standard C and a commercial C, but the commercial C is still only good for the light vehicle. And with a Hazmat endorsement is only needed and good for the light vehicle carrying a reportable quantity. You made it sound as though a class C is for hazmat in any vehicle weight class, which it isn't.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]
John in La

01-02-2012 21:26:18

Report to Moderator
 Re: Looking for clarification! in reply to scotc, 01-02-2012 01:11:50  
I think it was just a misunderstanding of the words I or you used.

I stated Class C does not apply to this discussion because it deals with haz mat and passengers.

Let me put it this way......
You would only need a class C if you hauled haz mat or passengers. Class C is not the only license that allows you to haul haz mat or passengers but if you have a class C you do one of the above.
A class C does not allow you to drive trucks over 26,001 lbs. If you did you would need a Class A or B.
If you drive a truck smaller than 26,001 lbs you do not need a CDL unless you haul haz mat or passengers. This is where the commercial class C comes in.

So like I said before a class C is N/A to this discussion on trailer size. If you do not haul haz mat or passengers you have no need to get a commercial class C license.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

01-03-2012 18:34:46

Report to Moderator
 Re: Looking for clarification! in reply to John in La, 01-02-2012 21:26:18  
I think you mean to say that if you want to haul hazmat or less than 15 passengers in a car/pickup/van, you need to get a commercial C in your state.

You need to get a hazmat endoresement on a commercial license to haul it, but the endorsement can be had on any commercial license.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]
[Show Entire Topic]     [Options]  [Printer Friendly]  [Posting Help]  [Return to Forum]   [Log in to Reply]

Hop to:

Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

Home  |  Forums

Copyright © 1997-2018 Yesterday's Tractor Co.

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters