Amazingly there are a few applications where an alkaline battery is a no no. Popular science magazine has a story on it a year or two ago.
It seems that as an alkaline reaches the very end of it's life, it begans to build internal gas pressure. The batteries have a blowout plug that will pop out and relieve the pressure before the battery shell bursts. Trouble is when this plug pops out, the caustic juices of the battery are pushed out of the battery under gas pressure. This corrosive stuff will destroy the device.
Now most electronic stuff has an automatic low voltage shut off feature that never drains an alkaline to the point that the pressure relief plug pops out.
The few that do drain the cell totally, like a flashlight, are subject to damage from alkaline battery juice,if forgotton, turned on until the battery is totally dead.
My 99 year old mother has one of those power lift recliner chairs. The lift uses a 24V DC motor,powered by the 120V AC driven power supply.
Because this type of chair is often used by someone who could not climb out of a reclined chair, the power supply has a battery backup built into the power supply. In this case, the backup battery is a pair of 9V batteries. The chair maker insists that you use only carbon / zinc 9 V batteries because of an alkaline batteries tendency to leak if totally drained while under a heavy load.
With alkaline batteries being so cheap and powerfull compared to carbon Zinc, I find them hard to get locally, especially the little 9V.