I had mistakenly purchased the wrong decals for the tractor and when I got them I didn't like them anyway. I didn't like the clear background it had around the letters and I expected it would turn cloudy. I then decided to stencil instead of replacing the decals. I used Photoshop on my computer to make the stencil. I went into the software and selected the closest font I could find to the vinyl decals and since I had vinyl decals could get the measurements. I used the magneto font to make Dual-Range in 150pt. and Shuttle in 100pt. To make the 210, I drew that by hand and scanned into the computer. I then printed the lettering some on two sheets of paper in landscape format because of the length of the lettering and pasted them together. Then the black print was cut out of the sheets of paper with an exacto knife leaving a stencil. I used a light coat of 3M spray adhesive bought at Wal-Mart to adhere the stencil to the tractor. Then I covered the rest of the hood with newspaper to keep from getting overspray on the rest of the hood. I believe I put 4 or 5 very light coats of paint on the letters. I knew if I flooded a wet coat of paint on the letters it would run under the stencil so I sprayed it wet enough to adhere but didn't concern myself with coverage. After letting it dry overnight I pealed the stencil off and it left a little residue of the spray adhesive of the desert sunset paint but I kept the tractor inside of a building out of the sun for a few more days before I washed the adhesive off with mineral spirits.
I think for me it worked better using computer paper to make the stencil. If it was an adhesive backed paper it would have to have a peal off backing in order to put it through the printer and cut the stencils. Then the lettering was so fragil I don't think I would have been able to peal the backing off without tearing the stencil.