This is a story about an 830 (serial # 8302437) I bought on-line a little over a year ago. This missive isn't a complaint, just a story and the experiences one gets into with an old tractor. I live in southeast PA and the tractor came from WI. Willie Welchert hauled the tractor for me, I highly recommend his services.
The tractor has shutters and a foot throttle, both seem to be unusual options.
The seller told me the pony didn't run, but believed it was in good shape mechanically, but the distributor and carb. needed to be rebuilt. He was right. I also knew it needed tires. Still looking for a pair of 23.1 x 26" for a reasonable price.
Although the pony wouldn't run, the diesel would start with a tow of 4-5 feet, and ran fine, no smoke, funny noises, or other visible problems, although the PS didn't work.
Fist I checked the PS fluid, none on the stick, added the proper fluid and I had PS steering, at least for a day. The next day no PS steering, no fluid. Discovered the PS pump seals were leaking the fluid into the crankcase. Resealed the PS pump, and all is well.
Next was to change the engine and transmission fluids. The engine was no problem, but I did get a surprise with the transmission and rear. The trans. and rear specifications call for 3 1/2 gallons of fluid, mine had over 12 gallons on oil in it (no water). Engine oil getting into the trans. Amazing there were no leaks on the back end of the tractor, even with all that extra fluid. I wonder how many hours it takes to get that much engine oil transferred into the trans. More on this later.
In the meantime I worked on the pony, it had an Onan coil mounted externally but had no spark. I replaces the coils, points, condenser, wires & plugs. Wired John T's oil pressure switch into the ignition circuit. Then rebuild the carb.
Then I thought I was ready to start the pony, no oil pressure. Posted on this site and one suggestion was to pressure bleed the oil circuit, that's all it took.
The pony started right up, with some smoke, but ran decently, and had enough humph to get the diesel running.
Now that it ran I needed it to stop. One side had good brakes but the adjuster was frozen. The other side the adjuster and brakes had been soaked in oil for a long time. Replaced the brakes, ground the drums, and replace the oil seals and another problem solved.
Back to the engine/trans. oil transfer problem. The 830's live PTO is driven off the left side of the tractor by the engine timing gear train. To access the seal I believed was the problem the pony, flywheel and timing gear cover most be removed. Once that was done I discovered the seal on the PTO drive shaft was a hard cracked piece of old rubber.
Some gaskets are no longer available form Deere and must be made, seals and bearings are readily available from numerous sources.
Remember I said the pony smoked, I read that often the valve guides are problematic so I thought while I had the little engine on the bench I should look it to this. Sure enough the intake guides were worn, but the rest of the engine was in good shape. While reassembling the engine two valves would not adjust, the lifters were missing on two valves, one each on two different cylinders. At first I thought that maybe the lifters had rolled into the valley when I pulled the push-rods. I had done that on some V8's I'd worked on years ago. However I discovered that isn't possible on this engine. Someone had put it together without these pieces sometime in this beasts 55 year history. The push-rods were just laying in place riding on the side of the cam lobes (I did pull the cam and the lobes were fine). If only the tractor could talk. Henry at J & S Machining was able to provide the lifters and gaskets needed.
And there are many other little items that needed attention, wiring etc. I'm not a painter, I try to buy decent tractors that have a good set of work clothes on, and get they in really good mechanical condition. I'm not quite done with this one yet, but it's the journey not the destination.