|Implement Alley Discussion Forum|
Re: Little Genius keeps plugging up - need help
[Show Entire Topic]
[Show Entire Topic]
[Return to Forum]
[Log in to Reply]
LA in WI
If that field has not been plowed for 30 years, and you have sod 4-5" (I am guessing you mean green growth of this height) and using 12" or 14" moldboards you are asking a lot out of a plow that small.
1. Try plowing only 6-7 inches deep and see how that goes. You can plow deeper in future years. By plowing a little shallower, you will increase the clearance of the plow making it easier to allow soil and material to flow thru better.
2. Your moldboards in good shape? If rusty that will not help. They have to scour. You say you have stony soil...I hope you mean small stones and if you have sand in that soil then as you keep plowing that sandy soil will eventually shine up those moldboards nicely.
3. If points are broken off or worn back that will not help. 4.Are moldboards grooved deeply thru excess wear thru the years?
5. Does the plow have coulters? Do they turn freely? Coulters are often set too low...the hubs should ride above the soil at least 3 inches. You want the coulters to cut, not shove material before them. If the plow does not have coulters for plowing sod then you will have a difficult time with soil flow.
5. Are coulters sharp? They should be set about 3/4 inches to the left of the moldboards (standing behind plow looking to tractor with plow in the ground, then you know which way left is).
6. Your plow speed should be no faster than walking speed under those conditions....driving too fast and trying to "ram" the soil and green growth thru the plow will definitely not work. Those old plows have slow speed moldboards, not like the higher speed moldboards of more modern plows.
7. Be patient, take your time. Old plows often need setting and resetting (wrenching) several times before they work properly.
8. When you have it set correctly, it will be fun to use that plow.
I have a Little Genius plow and I love plowing with it...except in corn stalks where I often try out new cuss words.
LA in WI
|Fast Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]|
| Copyright © 1997-2018 Yesterday's Tractor Co.|
TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V. Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters