1. What type of hay are you growing?
alfalfa orchard grass
orchard grass red clover
annual small grains double crop soybeans (both for hay)
2. What part of the country are you in?
central kentucky, 30 miles west of Lexington
3. How many cuttings per year are you getting?
fescue/clover: 2 cuttings and grazing between
alfalfa timothy: 4
alfalfa orchardgrass: 6
alfalfa fescue: 3
orchard grass/ red clover: 2 and summer/fall grazing
annuals. cut 1 time each
4. How many tons of hay per acre do you get per year?...or per cut?
normal year or this year? normally anywhere from 3-8 depennding. On the low side would be the fields that I hay and pasture but I also get at least 3-4 months of rotational grazing off of them. My alfalfa orchard grass and the small grains double crop yield the most but Im taking an early cutting for round bale silage off in late April.
5. Do you round bale or square bale?
6. How much $ do you get per bale?
normal year $3.50 for the squares and $25-$35 for small rounds stored inside. This year $5 for the squares and $40 for rounds. Im out, and buying to resell. Right now what Im buying in the rounds is 5x5's as opposed to my 4x4's but Im paying $55 (making my money on the trucking and a little comission).