Yesterday's Tractor Co. Shop Now
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 8N,9N,2N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
Classified Ads
Photo Ads
Tractor Parts

Discussion Forums
Project Journals
Tractor Town
Your Stories
Show & Pull Guide
Events Calendar
Hauling Schedule

Tractor Photos
Implement Photos
Vintage Photos
Help Identify
Parts & Pieces
Stuck & Troubled
Vintage Ads
Community Album
Photo Ad Archives

Research & Info
Tractor Registry
Tip of the Day
Safety Cartoons
Tractor Values
Serial Numbers
Tune-Up Guide
Paint Codes
List Prices
Production Nbrs
Tune-Up Specs
Torque Values
3-Point Specs

Tractor Games
Just For Kids
Virtual Show
Museum Guide
Memorial Page
Feedback Form

Yesterday's Tractors Facebook Page

Related Sites
Tractor Shed
Ford 8N/9N Club
Today's Tractors
Garden Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders & Backhoes Discussion Forum

massey hoe ID needed

Welcome Guest, Log in or Register
Author  [Modern View]

06-21-2012 10:06:26

Report to Moderator

I have a 3165 Massey backhoe and I need to identify my hoe attachment for parts purposes.

One of my outrigger cylinders has sprung a leak at the spot were the tube is welded to the base. It looks like someone has repaired it before I bought the hoe, the repair has failed.

The hoe attachment is NOT the normal attachment for the 3165, the version that I have was made starting in 1970-71 that was the proto-type for the Hoes made through 1986-88.

My hoe has an 18-19 ft reach and uses a 24 inch bucket itís actually to big for the 3165 but the holes matched so they bolted it on.

My local dealer that had the book for this attachment is out of business and since then I have forgotten the number of the hoe.

Anyone familiar with the early Massey hoes your help would be appreciated

My cylinder is 31-1/2 inches long closed center to center at pins. It uses 1-1/2 pins and has a 24 inch stroke. The outside diameter measures 4inches and the rod is 1-3/4 diameter

[Log in to Reply]   [No Email]

06-28-2012 15:31:40

Report to Moderator
 Re: massey hoe ID needed in reply to Brokengun, 06-21-2012 10:06:26  
I bought a parts book similar to what my dealer had from Ebay.

I was thinking my Hoe was a 221 proto-type which was replaced by the 222.

My hoe has the extended dipper, a model 200 loader and I have the top like the model 30 backhoes.

I think 222 parts will fit my hoe except for some cylinder parts. (I remeber my dealer said my cylinders were different but everything else was the same or could interchange)( I hope)

I decided to have the cylinder repaired

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

06-21-2012 17:55:14

Report to Moderator
 Re: massey hoe ID needed in reply to Brokengun, 06-21-2012 10:06:26  
It could be a Massey 54 hoe. A friend has one on a 3165 and it was too big for the tractor too.
But your problem sounds like just a weld fix.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]
3165 hoe

06-21-2012 17:32:00

Report to Moderator
 Re: massey hoe ID needed in reply to Brokengun, 06-21-2012 10:06:26  
I doubt it's a prototype for 1986 model. Finding parts will be difficult at best. If it just needs a new tube welded or a weld repair, it shouldn't be too hard to fix for a good welder. It has to be a pretty good weld to hold 2500 PSI. Just make sure the inner piston isn't near where you weld or you'll burn the seals.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]

06-22-2012 06:33:21

Report to Moderator
 Re: massey hoe ID needed in reply to 3165 hoe, 06-21-2012 17:32:00  
Massey made a proto-type hoe in 1971-72 that became the pattern for the hoe attachment that they used up to 1986-88.

My old dealer knew the story and he had the parts book for the hoe.

The problem I have is that the tube has been patched before and to me it looks like its bulging.

I was hoping to find a used out-rigger cylinder since the original is an odd ball cessna cylinder.

I may have to have it welded again who ever fixed it the first time did a poor job.

Thanks for your reply

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]
3165 hoe

06-24-2012 21:30:04

Report to Moderator
 Re: massey hoe ID needed in reply to Brokengun, 06-22-2012 06:33:21  
Sounds like the cylinder is fine and it just needs a new tube. A good hydraulic shop should have or know where to get seamless hydraulic tubing to make a complete new tube for the cylinder. Lots of places build and repair hydraulic cylinders and steel lines for them.

[Log in to Reply]  [No Email]
[Options]  [Printer Friendly]  [Posting Help]  [Return to Forum]   [Log in to Reply]

Hop to:

Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

Home  |  Forums

Copyright © 1997-2018 Yesterday's Tractor Co.

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters