Since our Ford 801 was crushed by a giant oak tree during hurricane Dennis, our D17 has assumed the position of the only usable tractor we have with any kind of power. (Our other two tractors are IHC Cubs) The problem with the D17 is that the 3-point lift barely works and we're trying to troubleshoot what the problem is. First--a little info about the tractor. Year model 1959, diesel. Came with snap-coupler setup and the two upper lift arms. Installed a three-point hitch after we got the tractor home. It also came with a three-way?? valve that the previous owner said was used to control a street sweeper. We removed that valve and the two hoses used to connect it.
To get the lift to actually work, I have to tighten the transport valve knob. When I set the lift lever on the steering wheel column, nothing will happen unless I slowly tighten the transport valve knob. The lift will either go up or down but will not hold a position without a constant adjustment on the lift lever or the transport valve. (I assume this might be a holding valve problem.) This makes for very difficult (or impossible) box-blading or grading work. Another piece of info--the belly pump makes a noticeable ticking or tapping noise once I start using the lift. When the lift goes all the way up, the
Traction Booster gauge approaches the "pegged" position and the needle fluctuates rapidly up and down.
Within our family we lost three homes to the hurricane and I'm the only one that owns a tractor so the tractor (and me the operator) are in high demand to perform clean-up and salvage operations. I'd like to get this rig working properly ASAP.
Thanks to all replies.