Thanks for telling that story on yourself. It makes me feel better.
Early last winter, over at the church, the Tecumseh engine on a used, almost like new, recent model snow blower, wasn't running right. Obviously a carb problem. I was able to round barely enough tools together to get the csrb apart and opened up. Mostly it was just full of rusty dirt from dirty gas. So, having nothing else at hand, I took it to a bathroom hot water faucet in a lavatory to wash it out. As I was washing I just got a flashing glimpse of a little red plastic piece going down the drain - maybe soda-straw size, less than 1/4" long. I took the trap off the drain but it had gone on by. I checked internet pdf drawings, checked with a local small engine repair shop and could find no evidence of the presence of any little red plastic part supposed to be in there. I put the carb and engine back together without the missing little red plastic part and it run fine. Even idles nice. A winter and a half later and it still runs really well. Go figure!